Search This Blog

Monday, October 1, 2012

Insomnia

Insomnia is something I have struggled with for years. The first time I was told I had insomnia, I was 14. Because yes, even at 14 I had so much stress in my life, I never slept. But over the years it has just gotten worse. I had tried every thing in the world to try and sleep. I cut out caffeine, drank warm milk, which is yucky by the way. Lol I had taken warm baths, tried sleep remedies such as herbal teas. Cut out all technology and nothing in this world seemed to work. I just didn't know what to do.

I had become sooo exhausted that I couldn't even stand myself any longer. On average I would get about 3-4 hours of sleep and get up in the morning and go at full force. Because being a single mommy of 3 keeps you on your toes! So I went and seen a doctor about it finally.

I have tried every single medication in this world that you can think of, even more natural things like "Melatonin" but something just wasn't right. Even to this very day I am still not sure what is going on. I have been on medication after medication and some worked. I would drift off to sleep just fine, but come a few hours later I was right back up again and that was just as exhausting as getting no sleep at all! So something had to give. I told my doctor and told her, this is just not right. My body should react to medication, at least in the smallest bit, but it doesn't.

So after awhile, my primary doctor thought it would be best if I seen a therapist. Not just because I wasn't sleeping but because of the millions of other things that are going on in my life that I have little to no control over. Because I have felt defeated. So I have been seeing a therapist for awhile now and she has helped me to better understand just what is going on with me and what is going on with my body and help me sort out the reasons as to why I am not sleeping.

The last time I couldn't sleep, would be right at this very moment. It's almost 12:30am and I am sitting here blogging my little heart out, and why? Because I am stressed out beyond belief. And when I am stressed it's like my body and mind go into overdrive and I can't concentrate, I really can't sleep and I am constantly worried about everything and anything. Even at the end of the day, when most parents put their children to sleep, they consider it their "me" time to wind down before bed and just relax. But with me, there is no such thing as relaxing because my body and mind are constantly running amok.

The best remedy for my sleepless nights is usually blogging. I can get everything out in the open and vent and maybe someone down the line will "hear" what I have to say. That really does help me sometimes. Or I will try and read a book. Because there isn't a medication or remedy in this world I haven't tried. But I am definitely open to any and all suggestions. Because nothing else I do seems to work

So late nights.. I am on facebook or blogger. It's my me time, my down time. Blogging has helped me out a lot. And my therapist has said that the more I talk about things and get them in the open, the less stress I will feel and the easier it will become for me to sleep at night.

Is she right? I guess only time will tell!

...Until tomorrow my friends!!!

Check Out Today's Blog Host Here!

and

View All Other Entries Here!

15 comments:

  1. Yes I believe she is right. I also believe letting go of stuff that is useless helps. Like worry. It changes nothing. It keeps you awake. Pray. That's my advice. Ask God to take your worries and then the hard part, believe He will. You will sleep like a baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think there will come a day that I won't worry LOL that's just who I am ♥

      Delete
  2. Definitely what works for one person--may not work for another. I think Stuart had a great idea to list out all that is stressing you (you probably do this blogging) to get it out of your system until morning. If that doesn't work, I have this 500+ page engineering manual. I promise you a few pages of that thing will put most of us to sleep from sheer boredom (and exactly why I keep it!)

    Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that blogging most nights, even if I dont' hit the "publish" I always make a draft. Do you have a copy of that manual? LOL

      Delete
  3. It is good you found the one thing that helps you vent and come down, and I do nderstand how blogging became that! One thing is for sure, I feel lucky after reading your post, since I haven't had many sleepless nights! But at the same time you have more of blogging ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also believe your therapist is right. I found that by writing my book about my depression, which kept me from sleeping properly for over 4 months, I was able to put aside the issues and now I sleep like a baby... (and I don't mean wet my bed and cry all night either.) It is definitely good to get it out of your system in whichever way you find best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yup sharing multiplies joys and divides the sorrow. And I am honoured that you'd think it was us. Don't worry, hang in there. The rainbow is just about to shine through. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe if I see that rainbow, there will be a unicorn at the other end? LOL

      Delete
  6. Writing is excellent therapy even for sleep!

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best therapy I have found, well next to actual therapy Lol

      Delete
  7. My story is similar to yours. I guess I didn't put all that in my blog post. You were able to write my story better than I can. I've tried everything you have, except a bunch of medications. My doctor is pretty adamant about me not taking any of them. I'm not exactly sure why, but she usually knows what is best for me, and I'm taking her word on it. I do have to agree with you on the warm milk thing. Yukc!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really hope something works out so that I am not on any medication at all. I really don't like it :(

      Delete
  8. Yeah ... I heard writing them down would help ...

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Drop me a line anytime! :D