Search This Blog

Monday, August 13, 2012

You Can't Please Everyone


If there is one lesson I have learned, and the very hard way. It is that you really can't please everyone. In fact, what I am learning now at my wonderful age of 26, is that you can't please anyone until you please yourself. If you aren't happy with yourself, then what's the point?

I have always strived to be a "people pleaser," always trying to make everyone else happy. But I am slowly starting to learn that while I am trying to please everyone else and make everyone else happy, I am losing myself in the process, and this is something I can't live with anymore.

I don't know who I am anymore! I have tried so hard in the past (and even in the last week for that matter!) to please everyone else that I am just making myself miserable in the process. But I asked myself a question just yesterday. "What am I doing trying to please everyone else, when I can't even please myself!?"


So it is true, you really can't please everyone. Because somewhere along the line someone will be "butthurt" as I like to call it, or just find the fault in it, it never fails. Personally I have learned that I won't please anyone in my life. Someone always has something to say about how I am doing this wrong or that wrong or I shouldn't do this or I am not doing it they way they would, so it's automatically wrong. It is an endless cycle of butthurt and it will never stop, unless you yourself put an end to it.

You have to reach a "breaking point" and decide that enough is enough. If you don't, you will always feel like a failure and that is no way to go through life. You don't want to constantly feel like you are failing someone. Or at least that is how I feel when I am not "pleasing" everyone.

So that is what I am working on today, and again tomorrow. Pleasing myself. Because if I am not pleased or happy with myself, how on earth do I expect anyone else to be?



3 comments:

  1. I think you are on the right track. I struggle with this one too and it is hard to break the habit and focus on just pleasing me. Great job on the prompt. ♥

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This struggle is long, LONG behind me... More than 30 years ago, someone said that I can never be happy with someone else until I am happy with myself. I set about to learn what I needed to do to "like" myself. It took some attitude readjustments, but I got there. Happiness is what you make it and all too often, it starts with changes within. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're learning and understanding this lesson at the age of 26, then my dear, you're in pretty good shape. Some people don't realize this until mid-life. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Drop me a line anytime! :D