Search This Blog

Sunday, April 8, 2012

Home

A home isn't something I felt like I ever had growing up. Of course I had a house. But my parent's were never really around. My mother was an alcoholic and my stepfather was on drugs. It was just my brother, sister and I most of the time. I always did my best to make it a home, but I was just a kid. I never felt like home.

So when I had children of my own, I was deadset that it didn't matter if I was married, single, divorced, widowed, working, not working, disabled. Whatever my case may or may not be I was (and I am still) determined as ever to make sure my children have a place to call home. We have lived in the same house for roughly a year and a half. I have made sure that my children have attended the same school since Kindergarten and I make sure that my children have stability, which is something I never felt like I had.

I believe that a house is built with hands, but a home is built with heart. You can be anywhere and have a house, but to have a home. It takes a lot of heart. I have family pictures everywhere. I also have my children's drawings and pictures all over the place. I have my "homemade" things that my children have made for me, all over the place. I believe that these are the important things that make a home, the things that come from the heart and the things that are made from the heart. That is what a home is all about.

And that is something I hope I bestow upon my children and my future grandchildren as well.

6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you took notice of the things you needed or wanted, and put them in place for your own children. It's a wonderful feeling to hear them tell you as adults that they remember home as a warm and fun place to be. Kudos to you for taking the information the Universe gave you, and making it work for your own life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Home is really where the heart is - yours and your family, or even just yours on your own!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of the nicest things my son ever said to me was, "Will you help me set up my house? You always make everything look homey and comfortable and my house looks, you know, new." I thanked him and have remembered that for a lot of years as if he said it yesterday. His home is very homey and welcoming, btw.
    He has helped his wife make a brand new cold empty building feel warm and homey and oh so comfortable!
    Home is definitely pieces of yourself and your family all around you. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I believe that a house is built with hands, but a home is built with heart."

    That's SO perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. very good post, honest and real! Your children love you and it shows, its a wonderful thing!! Lots of Love <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Drop me a line anytime! :D