Search This Blog

Friday, March 30, 2012

Adventure

So truth be told, I live far from an adventurous life, I never have...

Growing up, we didn't have a lot of things. After all I was the girl that everyone liked to call "Trailer Trash" because I spent most of my high school years living in a trailer court. We weren't rich, or even had money for anything. I was the girl who got all of her things as "hand me down's" or from the local thrift shop.

We weren't the type of family who got to take family vacations or got to go on trips across the states or anything of the sorts. So when kids at school would say things like "I went to the beach this summer" Or "We went to the mountains over winter break." I would just shrug it off, because how on Earth can you miss something you have never experienced? It just wouldn't happen.

By the time I had met my biological father's family, I was 13 and going through a lot. But I didn't really stay in contact with him until I gave birth to my oldest daughter at the age of 16. That was when I found out how "well off" my father was. He had a lot of money, he had a great job that he has had for over 20 years now. Making $55 an hour sitting on his ass operating a crane. At that time, it was awkward for me to try and "get to know" this man that didn't want me all those years ago. So we hadn't talked much. So I started bonding with my aunt. She then proceeded to tell me how she had 3 wheelers and 4 wheelers and all these cars, that I knew in my heart of hearts I would never be able to afford, and asked me to go on vacation with her later that summer to Georgia to meet my other Aunt whom I had never met. So I did...

I was 19 years old before I had ever seen the ocean, and I fell in love with it. My wonderful daughter was only 3 and she had already experienced more out of life then I had ever dreamed. I was sooo in love with the ocean, and everything about it, that by the time I was home, 3 weeks later, that is all I craved.

Im not sure if *is* the ocean I crave or if it was the adventure of that trip. It was the first time I had been on a boat, the first time I had seen a sea turtle, the very first time I ever went outdoors in a 2 piece bathing suit, the first time I had ever tried seafood and the first time I actually had the privilege of bonding with my biological father's family.

But I loved it! My daughter loved it and even to this day she remembers that trip. I know, she was only 3 but she remembers Georgia as if it happened yesterday.

Is it the adventure I seek, or something else? I guess I will never know..

4 comments:

  1. I can relate a lot to your post, in waiting a long time to try some firsts that many people take for granted. I've never been to Georgia, but visited Louisiana last year. It was my first time on a plane, the first time trying crawfish, going on a riverboat...so many new experiences. It's something I'll never forget, but I appreciate what I already have all the more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are the best kinds of trips where you get the memories that you treasure for the rest of your life.

    Kathy
    http://gigglingtruckerswife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is true that it's hard to miss what you haven't had, but now that you tasted 'family' and the ocean, it will be yours to strive for from here on. That 'family' is the most important part of your story and I hope you have worked hard to maintain that connection. ♥

    ReplyDelete
  4. The things we take for granted-- I grew up with the Gulf of Mexico as my back yard. I grew up in Florida and when my Grandma worked on the east coast of Florida--we would stay with her on the Atlantic for several weeks at a time, so I experienced plenty with the Atlantic Ocean too. I forget so many people haven't seen the ocean--something I miss with a fervor living in Ohio. Luckily I'm going back home this month to visit Grandma with some of the kids.

    I think Jo is right--the ocean is awesome--but connecting with family is even better. I am glad you got to connect!

    Cheers, Jenn.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you have to say! Drop me a line anytime! :D